|Are chickens allowed in Yankton?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||Up to 6|
|Can you have roosters in Yankton?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Coop must not be visible to the traveling public or surrounding property owners.|
|Application process:||A permit may be required|
|More information:||Yankton City Code|
Discover essential guidelines for raising chickens in Yankton and embark on your exciting journey as a poultry enthusiast.
- Number of Chickens: Yankton residents can keep up to 6 chicken hens within the city limits.
- Roosters: Roosters are not allowed to be kept within the city limits of Yankton.
- Confinement Requirements: Chickens must be confined in a manner that is not visible to the traveling public or surrounding property owners.
- Additional Regulations: You should check with your local authorities for more specific rules regarding chicken coop building and location.
- Temporary Keeping: Fowl, including chickens, may be temporarily kept at various locations such as public auction rings, veterinary clinics and treatment facilities, locker plants, and hatcheries.
- Transportation: Residents can transport fowl, including chickens, through the city.
Stay current with Yankton’s backyard chicken rules by consulting local officials for the latest details.
See other South Dakota chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 11/18/2023