|Are chickens allowed in Pierre?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||No limit specified (contact city first)|
|Can you have roosters in Pierre?||Not specified (ask city)|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||No rule specified (speak with officials)|
|Application process:||A permit may be required|
|More information:||Pierre City Code|
For aspiring urban chicken farmers in Pierre, the first step is understanding the rules:
- The number of chickens: The city does not specify the number of chickens allowed, but you will need to contact the local authorities for more information.
- Roosters: Roosters are not strictly prohibited within the city limits, but noise and nuisance rules may apply. Contact the City of Pierre before purchasing a rooster.
- Distance from the property line: Poultry houses must be placed no closer than 200 feet from the lot line when adjoining property is used for residential, motel, hotel, or cabin resort purposes.
- Additional general rules to keep in mind:
- Chickens must be provided with adequate food, water, and shelter.
- Chickens must be kept clean and free of pests.
- You must not allow your chickens to make excessive noise.
Stay informed about backyard chicken regulations in Pierre by contacting local officials for current updates.
See other South Dakota chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 11/18/2023