|Are chickens allowed in Cumberland?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||Up to 5|
|Can you have roosters in Cumberland?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Coops at least 25 feet from the property line|
|Application process:||A permit may be required|
|More information:||Cumberland City Code|
If Cumberland has piqued your interest in chicken rearing, acquainting yourself with the pertinent rules and regulations is imperative.
- Maximum Number of Chickens: Up to five chickens or other fowl may be kept for each single-family dwelling. The land area permitted for this is not specified, so please check with the authorities for more details.
- Roosters: The city allows no roosters to be kept.
- Coop Requirements
- All chickens must be kept in a coop.
- The coop must be no less than 25 feet from the property line.
- The coop must be structurally sound and well-ventilated.
- It must also be kept clean and free of pests.
- Other Requirements
- Properties containing more than one residential unit do not qualify under this provision.
- Chickens must not be a nuisance to neighbors.
- Chickens must be kept under control at all times.
Stay informed about backyard chickens in Cumberland by contacting local officials for the most recent updates on rules and regulations.
See other Rhode Island chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 10/30/2023