|Are chickens allowed in Gresham?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||Up to 3|
|Can you have roosters in Gresham?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Must be in the rear yard|
|Application process:||Permit required|
|More information:||City of Gresham|
Are you curious about raising chickens in Gresham? Get to know these essential guidelines to make it happen!
- Number of Chickens: Residents can keep up to 3 adult chickens with a permit.
- Eligible Residents: Only individuals residing in a single-family dwelling on a lot or parcel developed with a single detached dwelling can keep chickens.
- Age Restriction: Only adult chickens (over 4 months old) may be kept.
- Rooster Prohibition: Roosters are not allowed to be kept in residential areas.
- Coop and Run Requirements:
- Chickens must be kept in an enclosed coop or run at all times.
- The coop and run must be located in the rear yard of the lot or parcel.
- The coop must have at least 2 square feet of floor space per grown chicken.
- The run must be at least 10 feet by 10 feet.
- Maintenance: The coop and run must be kept in good repair and maintained in a clean and sanitary condition, free of vermin and obnoxious smells and substances.
- Nighttime Requirement: Chickens must be kept in a covered, enclosed coop between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- Nuisance Prevention: The coop and run, as well as the chickens, must not violate the nuisance code or disturb neighbouring residents due to noise, odour, damage, or threats to public health.
Don’t get caught off guard by changes in backyard chicken rules! Stay proactive and contact Gresham officials for the most current information.
See other Oregon chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 10/28/2023