|Are chickens allowed in Elyria?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||No official limit|
|Can you have roosters in Elyria?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||No rule specified|
|Application process:||Permit may be required|
|More information:||Elyria City Code|
Ready to engage in the rewarding hobby of raising chickens in Elyria? Educate yourself on the specific criteria and standards that apply first.
- Raising and keeping chickens appears to be permitted in the City of Elyria City Code. However, the number of chickens allowed is not specified. So, please check with the local authorities for more information regarding this and coop regulations.
- No roosters allowed: The city does not allow the keeping of roosters due to its noise/nuisance ordinance. Roosters are known for their loud crowing, which can be a nuisance to neighbors.
- No fowl are allowed to run at large: Chickens must be kept in a coop or enclosure that prevents them from running at large.
- No noxious or offensive odors or unsanitary conditions: Chickens must be kept clean and sanitary so that they do not create a nuisance.
- No fowl allowed to cause a nuisance: Chickens must not be allowed to cause a nuisance to neighbors, such as by making excessive noise or attracting pests.
Cities may alter their regulations regarding backyard chickens over time, so it is crucial to contact Elyria officials for the latest information.
See other Ohio chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 10/3/2023