|Are chickens allowed in Wahpeton?||No|
|How many chickens can you have?||None|
|Can you have roosters in Wahpeton?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Not applicable|
|Application process:||Not applicable|
|More information:||Wahpeton City Code|
Ever considered raising chickens in Wahpeton? Because of the unforgiving laws here, it’s probably best that you don’t:
- Prohibited Animals: The City of Wahpeton prohibits keeping swine, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons, other fowl, horses, cattle, or sheep within its limits.
- Rooster Restriction: Roosters are not allowed.
- Exceptions: Chahinkapa Park Zoo and state educational institutions are allowed to keep chickens. Temporary exhibitions at fairs, agricultural exhibitions, and authorized public festivals or amusements also permit chicken keeping.
- Sanitary Requirements: Approved sanitation standards must be followed for stabling and care of permitted chickens.
- If you fall in the category of those allowed to keep chickens within the city limits, please consider contacting the local authorities for more information regarding coop and location requirements.
- Running at Large Restriction: Chickens must not roam freely on streets, avenues, alleys, parks, or public grounds.
It’s important to contact Wahpeton officials for the most recent details on any changes to backyard chicken rules.
See other North Dakota chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 09/30/2023