|Are chickens allowed in Bozeman?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||4 to 15 (depending on lot size|
|Can you have roosters in Bozeman?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Coops at least 5 feet from lot lines and 20 feet from any residential building.|
|Application process:||Permit required|
|More information:||Bozeman municipal code|
If you’re thinking about raising chickens in Bozeman, you should educate yourself about the rules and regulations that govern this activity.
- Number of Chickens: The City of Bozeman allows residents to keep up to 15 female domestic chickens (hens) per permit holder according to the following guidelines:
- For the first 3,000 square feet of any residential parcel, up to four chickens.
- For each additional 1,000 square feet of any residential parcel, one additional hen is up to a maximum of 15.
- No male chickens (roosters) over the age of three months are permitted.
- Permissible Locations: Chickens may be kept in the following locations:
- On a single-household parcel.
- On a parcel under unitary ownership with more than one dwelling on site.
- On residential parcels under common ownership.
- Property Boundary: All chickens must be contained within the permittee’s property boundary.
- Chicken Coop Requirements: The permittee shall provide the chickens with a covered, predator-proof chicken house that is thoroughly ventilated and of sufficient size to admit free movement of the chickens.
- Chickens shall be secured within the enclosure from sunset to sunrise.
- Chicken enclosures and houses must be kept in neat and sanitary condition at all times. Regular cleaning is required to prevent offensive odors.
- No chicken house shall be located closer than 20 feet to any structure inhabited by someone other than the chicken owner, custodian, or keeper, and not closer than five feet to any property line.
- Food and Water: Chickens shall have continuous access to adequate food and water.
- Permit Requirement: Prior to the keeping of any chickens, a party seeking to keep chickens shall obtain a permit from the city treasurer’s office. Only one permit shall be issued per household.
As time passes, cities can make changes to their regulations regarding backyard chickens, underscoring the importance of contacting Bozeman officials for the most current information.
See other Montana chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 7/3/23