|Are chickens allowed in Somerville?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||6|
|Can you have roosters in Somerville?||No|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Coops at least 20 feet from front property line.|
|Application process:||Permit required|
|More information:||Somerville municipal code|
Before starting to raise chickens in Somerville, make sure you have a good understanding of the rules and regulations that govern this activity.
- Number of Hens: Residents of Somerville are allowed to keep up to 6 hens on their property.
- Rooster Prohibition: Roosters are prohibited within the city limits of Somerville.
- Chicken Coop Requirements: Chicken coops must have a minimum height of 8 feet.
- Distance from Front Lot Line: Chicken coops must be located at least 20 feet away from the front lot line.
- Restriction on Free Roaming: Chickens are not allowed to roam freely and must be kept within the confines of the property.
Responsibilities for Backyard Chicken Owners
- Maintaining Chicken Health: It is essential to prioritize the health of your chickens. Ensure they have a clean coop, fresh food, and water.
- Vaccinations: Vaccinating your chickens against common diseases is strongly recommended to keep them healthy.
- Proper Manure Disposal: The city requires chicken owners to keep their chickens’ manure in a compost bin and not allow it to accumulate in piles.
- Preventing Escape: Preventing your chickens from escaping the property is necessary to avoid issues and maintain community harmony.
As time progresses, cities may revise their rules regarding backyard chickens. It’s important to contact Somerville officials for the most current information.
See other Massachusetts chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 06/11/2023