|Are chickens allowed in Lewiston?||Yes|
|How many chickens can you have?||No official limits|
|Can you have roosters in Lewiston?||No official rules|
|Chicken coop placement rules:||Coops around 25 feet from other homes and 3 feet from property lines.|
|Application process:||Permit required|
|More information:||The Lewiston Tribune|
A 2015 city council vote finally allowed chickens in Lewiston. Although the city code hasn’t yet caught up online, the resolution to allow chickens is approved.
These are the basics you need to know about the legal issues surrounding backyard chickens in Lewiston:
- Chicken limit. In Lewiston, Idaho, residents are allowed to keep chickens in their backyard, per a 2015 city ordinance. The city code does not reflect that change or specify a number of chickens.
- Rooster restrictions. Roosters are not officially permitted or forbidden, according to available information about Lewiston’s backyard chicken ordinance..
- Permit process. A permit may be required for residents who want to keep backyard chickens. The process likely includes submitting an application and paying any necessary fees.
- Coop and run standards. Chicken coops should be well-ventilated, predator-resistant, and designed for easy maintenance. Each chicken must have at least 3 square feet of space in the coop and a minimum of 10 square feet of space in the run.
- Setbacks and coop placement. Chicken coops must be located at least 25 feet away from any neighboring residential dwelling and a minimum of 3 feet away from property lines.
- Sanitation and upkeep. Maintaining clean and sanitary conditions in chicken coops and runs is important, with regular cleaning and appropriate waste disposal required.
- Slaughter prohibitions. Slaughtering chickens is not permitted on residential properties within the city limits.
- Homeowners’ Association (HOA) regulations. Residents should consult their HOA to verify if backyard chickens are allowed under their community’s specific guidelines. In some cases, HOA rules may override city regulations.
If you’re looking for the most accurate and up-to-date information on backyard chicken keeping in Lewiston, the best source of advice is the relevant local authorities.
See other Idaho chicken ordinances.
Last updated: 4/28/23